Monday, May 15, 2006

Arguing The Finer Points

My son has entered a very testing, exhausting, hyper-argumentative phase. He has to argue everything now. Here are some of his recent arguments. Laying these arguments out usually involves my son gesticulating and pacing a lot, rubbing his chin and sometimes raising his voice. I have no idea where he gets it from...

1. Since he was allowed to watch Harry Potter 4, which was PG 13, "and nothing happened to" him, he should be able to watch "all PG 13 movies--hello?"
2. He should be allowed to watch any and all sex scenes on TV because he "is not a fresh kid" (cleary he thinks I'm a moron)
3. He should have his bedtime moved from 8 PM to 1 AM because "at 1 is when I finally feel like going to sleep."
4. I should play with him as much as he asks--which is 24 hours a day--because he" is a kid and that is what kids need."
5. He should not only get gifts when he behaves, he should get gifts all the time. "Because."
6. Most recently, he should not have to wish his grandmothers, his godmother or any of his aunts happy mother's day because "they are not my mother. That's their own kids jobs."